The best burgers in Tarrant County
After a Reader’s Choice bracket, these are the best burgers around, decided by you.
The Star-Telegram has you covered for where to get the best burgers in Fort Worth with these eight spots who were finalists for our Reader’s Choice Best Burger in Fort Worth contest.
This North Texas mainstay opened its first location in downtown Arlington in 1984. Since then, six more restaurants have opened in North Texas from Cedar Hill to Keller. The menu offers plenty of half-pound goodness, including the “knockout burger” with mozzarella, bacon, a fried egg, basil mayo, lettuce and tomatoes.
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Location: 153 Southwest Plaza, Arlington, is the closest to Fort Worth. For the full list of Chapps’ locations and hours, visit their website.
- What readers say: “The meat is Nolan Ryan beef which makes for a very delicious burger.” “Nolan Ryan’s beef, locally sourced vegetables, choice of wheat or regular bun. Fantastic fries and onion rings.”
Fred’s Texas Cafe
The Fort Worth eatery has been in the city since 1978, and is serving 13 burger styles at its new home. Chicken fried steaks, tacos and cheese fries, round out the menu that also features the “Diablo” burger — full of chipotle brown butter, grilled onions, Swiss cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomato and mustard.
- Hours: Camp Bowie: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Western Center: Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-12 a.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-12 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Location: 7101 Camp Bowie West, Fort Worth; 2730 Western Center, Fort Worth
- What readers say: “Although they have a wide variety of burgers, it’s all just about the meat and how it is cooked. Fundamentals are what’s important about a great burger and Fred’s has been consistent in their preparation for decades.” “Fresh vegetables, unfrozen beef patties, cold beer!”
Fuel 2.0 Bar & Grill
Fuel serves up burgers alongside plenty of seafood goodies. If you’re not in the mood for a burger, Fuel has catfish and shrimp po-boys, fried fish and seafood gumbo.
- Hours: Monday, 5 p.m.-12 a.m.; Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-12 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m.; Sunday, 12 p.m.-12 a.m.
- Location: 2616 E. Belknap St., Fort Worth
- What readers say: “You’ve heard of the diamond in the rough — this is a diamond in a dive bar.” “Chef Lee has literally turned or little biker bar into the place to be for burgers!!”
Kincaid’s has a storied past in Fort Worth, originally opened as a grocery store in 1946. In 1964, Kincaid’s started to sell hamburgers — evolving from a grocery store into a burger institution. Now, three Fort Worth locations are operating, alongside establishments in Arlington and Southlake.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Camp Bowie hours are Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Locations: 4825 Overton Ridge Blvd., Fort Worth; 3124 Texas Sage Trail, Fort Worth; 4901 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth; 100 North Kimball Ave., Southlake; 3900 Arlington Highlands Blvd., Arlington.
- What readers say: “So many places have (good) burgers, but Kincaid’s burgers are so simple and just so good! It’s hard to mess up a trusted classic, and they deliver every time.” “Great, thick, juicy traditional burger with great onion rings and shakes. It has the atmosphere I would expect and enjoy.”
La Cocinita Burgers & Wings
La Cocinita is serving up burgers with Mexican flavors. This food truck has two burger options: the La Mex burger with beef, ham and sausage; and the La Steak burger, complete with carne asada, grilled onions, jalapenos and monterey jack cheese.
- Hours: Saturday and Sunday, 2-8 p.m.
- Location: 3541 E. Vickery Blvd., Fort Worth
- What readers say: “Best burgers in town, also helps they have a Mexican twist to them. There aren’t many places that offer a Mexican style burgers but these go above and beyond.” “They have one called the Mexican burger and it’s unbelievable, best burger I tasted in Fort Worth,” wrote another.
The Bearded Lady
The Bearded Lady opened a new location at South Main Street in 2019. The restaurant has Fort Worth-based craft beer, including Martin House Brewing Company and Rahr and Sons Brewing. When it comes to food, the “L.U.S.T. burger” includes a half-pound patty stuffed with feta cheese and roasted poblano peppers, melted gouda, caramelized onions and avocado.
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-12 a.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Location: 300 S. Main St., Fort Worth
- What readers say: “Best burgers and a fantastic beer selection! Their burgers of the month are always so creative and unique. The Boujee Bleu Hawaiian for June is insanely delicious!” “The people, the food, the ambiance, all top notch.”
Willhoite’s has been a Grapevine crowd-pleaser since the 1980s. The building is one of the oldest in Grapevine, serving as dry goods store, theater and automotive garage before becoming an eatery in 1981. Burgers, chicken sandwiches and tacos round out the menu that also includes a full buffet.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-2 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 a.m.
- Location: 432 S. Main St., Grapevine
- What readers say: “It is Grapevine’s oldest restaurant and is still the place to be for live music, Sunday brunch and the best burger!”
Zonk is an all-vegan burger spot that started as a food truck in 2019. After some pandemic reworking, the folks at Zonk opened a neighborhood restaurant in November 2021. The “Zonk Burger” is made from a house-recipe chick pea and millet patty, topped with pickles, onion, lettuce and special sauce. Other vegan options include a black bean burger, fried tofu sandwich and seitan and tofu wings.
- Hours: Thursday-Monday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Location: 2919 Race St., Fort Worth
- What readers say: “Every item on the menu is perfection. Everything is made from scratch and the flavors are the best in town. Generous portion sizes are great, too!” “Zonk Burger is a scratch kitchen vegan burger heaven! Their Zonk Burger is an original recipe with the perfect quick pickle and special sauce. I dream about this burger.”
This story was originally published June 24, 2022 12:00 AM.