The Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series has made two of its biggest poachings yet, adding four-time major champion Brooks Koepka and fellow top-20 star Abraham Ancer.
Koepka, ranked 19th in the world, joins his brother Chase and long-time friend Dustin Johnson in the controversial rebel league, as first reported by The Telegraph.
Some 17 PGA Tour players who competed in the first LIV Golf tournament without a conflicting-event release were suspended.
Watch every round of The 150th Open Championship 15th – 18th July EXCLUSIVELY LIVE on FOX SPORTS available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Koepka, along with Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed, is expected to play in the first LIV Golf event in the US in Portland, Oregon from July 1.
His and Ancer’s signings give LIV Golf eight of the world’s top 50.
“I’m here at the U.S. Open,” Koepka said last week amid questions about LIV Golf.
“I’m ready to play the U.S. Open, and I think it kind of sucks, too, you are all throwing this black cloud over the U.S. Open. It’s one of my favourite events.
“I don’t know why you guys keep doing that. The more legs you give [LIV Golf], the more you keep talking about it.”
Koepka has won the US Open and PGA Championship twice each, and tied for second at the Masters in 2019.
Greg Norman has said LIV will apply to the Official World Golf Rankings board of governors so its players can earn ranking points. Otherwise they will find it difficult to play majors in the future.
LIV is funded by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund – in effect, the nation itself – which has seen golfers criticised for joining the sportswashing effort, given Saudi Arabia’s horrific human rights record.