‘We had a laugh about it together’: PSG boss Christophe Galtier dismisses speculation linking Presnel Kimpembe to Chelsea with the Blues chasing the Frenchman after landing defender Kalidou Koulibaly
- Christophe Galtier has dismissed reports linking Presnel Kimpembe to Chelsea
- Galtier says he laughed when he read the reports but failed to rule out a move
- Kimpembe has spent his whole career at PSG and worked under Thomas Tuchel
- Tuchel is in desperate need of centre-backs after key departures this summer
Thomas Tuchel is aiming to bolster his defence this summer and has turned his attentions to the French centre-back after securing the signing of Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli.
But Galtier says he has read the reports and has laughed about it with the player, though he didn’t rule out a possible transfer.
PSG boss Christophe Galtier has dismissed reports linking Presnel Kimpembe to Chelsea
Speaking to L’Equipe, he said: ‘I’ve read everything been said about Kimpembe. We even laughed about it together.
‘I like him – he’s a great centre-back but what will happen, I don’t know.’
Chelsea are in the market for defenders this summer following the departures of Antonio Rudiger and Anders Christensen.
The Blues confirmed the £34million signing of Koulibaly on Saturday and more reinforcements are expected before the start of the new season.
Alongside Nathan Ake – who now looks to stay at Manchester City – Kimpembe is said to be at the top of the club’s radar.
Thomas Tuchel previously worked with Kimpbembe during his time as the PSG manager
Chelsea officially confirmed the signing of Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli on Saturday
The 26-year-old has worked with Tuchel before during the German’s two-and-a-half-year spell in charge at the Parc des Princes.
Kimpembe has spent his whole career at PSG, having joined at the age of nine, and has made 221 appearances for the club to date.
The signing of Koulibaly was Chelsea’s second incoming this summer following the arrival of Raheem Sterling earlier in the week.
Tuchel’s side are hoping to build on last season’s third-place finish as they failed to mount a title challenge.
The Stamford Bridge side will open the new season with a trip to Everton on August 6 before hosting Tottenham the following week.